Monday, November 5, 2007

Running? Are you serious!?!?

So with all the drama going on around my grandfather, I started having that typical sense of my own mortality. I am 30 years old and I have been smoking since I was 13. That just sounds really unhealthy doesn't it? So I decided to do something about it. 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted to transform my fat lazy ass into a runner!! Can you believe it?

I did a little Google search for a beginner's running program. Let me tell you, I am apparently not even a beginner. In the world of running, I am a slug! Half of the programs I found started off with a 1 mile run right off the bat! Holy shit! That is just not gonna happen!

I finally found 2 programs that seemed like they might be more suited to my needs. Cool Running's Couch to 5K program and Nike's Walk to Run program. I ended up going with the Nike program because it has a slightly slower progression than the C25K. I am currently on week 4 and below is my progress...

Week 1
M - Walk 15 min
T - (Walk 5 min, Run 1 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
W - Walk 15 min
T - (Walk 5 min, Run 1 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
F - Walk 15 min
S - (Walk 5 min, Run 1 min) x2. Walk 5 min.

Week 2
M - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 2 min.
T - (Walk 5 min, Run 3 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
W - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 2 min.
T - (Walk 5 min, Run 3 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
F - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 2 min.
S - (Walk 5 min, Run 3 min) x2. Walk 5 min.

Week 3
M - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 4 min.
T - (Walk 6 min, Run 4 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
W - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 4 min.
T - (Walk 6 min, Run 4 min) x2. Walk 5 min.
F - Walk 15 min. Run 1 min. Walk 4 min.
S - (Walk 6 min, Run 4 min) x2. Walk 5 min.

I'm not gonna lie, week 3 was pretty tough for me, but I made it through. I have learned not to judge my progress on how tired I am during the workout, but on how I feel throughout the day after. I have not had any sore days so far, so I think I am progressing OK. I'll keep you guys posted about my progress!

2 comments:

Lori Petticrew said...

okay so are you going to keep up with this blog again?

Deanna said...

awesome! I think I might steal this schedule...good luck ;)